Friday, February 3, 2012

How To Write a Novel Class

When I was first started writing fiction, I took a non-credit continuing education course at the University of New Orleans called "How to Write a Romance Novel."  Taking the step of signing up for the course was a big deal to me; it meant I was finally doing something to pursue my secret dream of writing a novel.  It was taught by Martha Corsen, a multi-published novelist.

 I don't remember a whole lot about the course, but getting affirmation from a published author meant the world to me.  I told myself then and there that if I were ever published and in a position to help and encourage new writers, I'd do so.

Fast forward several years later:  every Spring and Fall, I teach a five-week course through Southeastern Louisiana University's Continuing Education Department, "How to Write a Novel."   I cover the basics of story structure, plot, character development, dialogue, description and point of view.  I have the most fascinating students-- doctors, lawyers, policemen, administrative assistants, firemen, contractors, interior designers, photographers, ex-CIA operatives, executives, stay-at-home moms, retirees, college students... you name it!

If you live in the Mandeville area and you're interested in writing, consider signing up.  I'd love to meet you!

To register or get further information, contact www.selu.edu/stc, then click Continuing U, then Mandeville Courses.  Information is alsp available by calling SLU's St. Tammany Center at 985-893-6251.

No comments:

Post a Comment